Sunday, July 29, 2012

Cheesy Chicken Open Faced Sandwich

Every once in a while, I'll look at the clock and realize that dinner time is only an hour or two away.  It's nights like these that I feel like we should just eat out instead.  But, we all know that it's not always that easy. It's times like these that we get creative.  And this was no exception.  As my daughter sits in the living room, she keeps asking what's for dinner, my response, I don't know!  Because I honestly have no clue what I'm going to serve until it's on the plate (and even then I may not know what I just served!).  We have named this dish the cheesy chicken open faced sandwich, and thankfully, it was well liked!

Ingredients
Cream of mushroom soup
Tomatoes (I used my canned tomatoes)
French bread (we got this delicious french bread with so much flavor for less than $1 on the "day old" rack!)
Onion
Chicken (leftover from a whole roasted chicken the night before)
Cheese (I used 2 slices of American)
Velveeta cheese (or a good melting cheese)
Cream
Parmesan cheese

What I Did...
Preheat your oven to 300 degrees (F).  Line a baking sheet with your tomatoes (mine were quartered already from the canning process).  Bake for 15 minutes.  Next, slice and carmalize your onions.  In the meantime, I cut the remaining breast off of my roasted chicken, and sliced it thinly.  In a saucepan, mix 1/4 cup of Velveeta, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, 2 tbsp of Parmesan cheese, and 2 tbsp of cream.  Stir and simmer on low.  Slice your French bread into 4 half inch slices.  Place onto a baking sheet to toast in the oven (toast to your liking, mine went int for about 3 minutes).  Remove your bread.  Now to assemble.  Top your bread with your sliced chicken, followed by the onions, and then tomatoes.  Once assembled, top each sandwich with 1/2 a slice of American cheese (or any cheese you may have on hand).  Place into the oven until the cheese is melted (you could also broil it to get the cheese nice and bubbly.).  Once finished, top with your mushroom and cheese sauce and serve.  This recipe made 4 sandwiches.  My family loved it, so hopefully yours will too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your support and for checking out my blog!