Thursday, July 19, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie

Last night was chicken pot pie night at my house.  This is one of my favorite chilly night meals, even though it's 100+ degrees outside right now!  Regardless, I felt as though it was a pot pie kind of night.

Ingredients
Chicken (I used 2 leg quarters, $2.35)
Frozen veggie blend, one bag ($1.60)
Onion (had diced and frozen in my freezer already)
Leek (had sliced and frozen in my freezer already)
Garlic, 4 gloves ($.48)
Cream cheese, 2 tbsp. (Store brand was on sale 10/$10)
Refrigerated biscuits ($.49)
Beer (bought a 6 pack for $5.69, so the one beer cost $.95)
Butter, 3 tbsp (had in my fridge already)
Flour, 4 tbsp (had in my pantry already)
Directions
Bake your chicken at 375 degrees (F) for 45 minutes.  Let cool slightly.

 In a saucepan, melt 2 tbsp of butter over med-high heat.  Add your diced onions and sliced leeks.  Mince your garlic then add to the onion/leek mixture.  Cook until translucent (about 2-3 minutes).  Add the frozen mixed vegetables.  Pull your chicken off of the bones and add.  Once cooked, add 1 cup of beer, stir, add your flour.  Once the mixture begins to thicken, add the cream cheese.

 Once the cheese has melted, spoon the mixture into small baking dishes.  Take your refrigerated biscuits, roll them out, and cut circles (or squares) large enough to cover the top of the dishes.  Brush the tops with the remaining butter and bake for 20 minutes at 365 degrees (F).

Once finished each person will have their own little dish to eat from.  My recipe feeds 3-4 people (depending on how hungry your family is!).  Usually I like to add fennel instead of leeks and white wine instead of beer, but I used what I had on hand.  No matter the dish you plan to make, know what you can substitute to save money or an extra trip to the grocery store.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your support and for checking out my blog!