Thursday, July 5, 2012

Quickie Canned Tomato Sauce

I always try to have a jar of pasta sauce in my house.  My reason for this is that I ALWAYS have lots of pasta.  Sometimes life gets busy, and we just don't have a lot of time to spend making a giant meal.  So making pasta is something we can throw together at the last minute.  Sometimes I don't have pasta sauce, but what I ALWAYS have is canned tomatoes.  So here is my Quickie Canned Tomato Sauce recipe for those times when I need a sauce in a hurry.

Ingredients
One can of diced tomatoes
4 tbsp. tomato paste
8 gloves of garlic
3 tbsp. of red wine (I like Burgundy)
3 tsp. oregano
1 tbsp. basil
Directions
If you have time, I like to roast my garlic, but since this is a "quickie", start off by mincing your garlic, and heating it in a pan with olive oil over med-low heat.  Once soften, but not burnt, remove from heat.  Add all of the remaining ingredients.  At this time, if you have a emulsion blender, use it to make your sauce the consistency you like it (chunky to smooth).  If you don't have one, you can toss everything into your blender. Simmer the ingredients for 20 minutes, then serve.  That simple!  By the time your pasta is ready, your sauce will be too.


Try adding different ingredients like eggplant, vodka, onions, peppers, and even peas and carrots!  You can hide lots of vegetables in your sauce so your kids will eat them (I like to hide carrots in mine)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your support and for checking out my blog!