Sunday, July 22, 2012

Tomato and Cream Cheese Penne

So I got to use one of my jars of tomatoes I canned a little over a week ago.  It was one of those nights where I hadn't put much though into dinner, so pasta tends to be my go to meal.  My family love spaghetti, but it gets old after a while if you don't switch it up.

Ingredients
1 lb of penne
1 jar of tomatoes (1 pint)
1 can of tomato sauce
4 big leaves of fresh basil
4 oz (1/2 a block) of cream cheese
Parmesan cheese

Directions
Cook the pasta in salted water as you would normally do.  Cook until al dente.  Drain and set aside.  Remove the liquid from your jar of tomatoes.  Add your tomato sauce and canned tomatoes to your sauce pan.  Use an emulsion blender to smooth out the sauce.  Add your cream cheese.  Cook over med heat until cheese starts to melt.  Add your penne.  Continue cooking until the cream cheese is melted, about 4 minutes or so.  Cut your basil and toss it into your pasta.  When you are ready to serve, toss with Parmesean cheese (this is a personal preference, add as much or little as you'd like).  The cream cheese gives the pasta a nice creamy flavor without over powering it.  You never have to settle for just pasta and tomato sauce.  Get creative, you could end up with a new family favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your support and for checking out my blog!