Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Chinese Night

Last week my husband and I spent 3 days in Hermann, MO celebrating our 5 year anniversary.  While visiting some of their local shops, I came across one that had a room full of spices.  I stocked up on their dried orange peel and chili spice blend.  My husband and I love Chinese food, especially orange chicken, and I knew the orange peel would be perfect for that!  When I went to make my meal tonight, I noticed I had a lot of Ramen noodle packs in my pantry, so I decided to do a play on a lo mien noodle as well.  Here is what we ended up with:

Orange Chicken and Green Beans
Ingredients
3 chicken breasts
2 tbsp dried orange peel
1 orange
3 tbsp sweet chili sauce
6 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 clove of garlic
1/2 red onion
1 lb of fresh picked green beans
2 tbsp of apricot jam (or orange marmalade, but I had apricot on hand)
2 tbsp brown sugar

Directions
Marinate your chicken in a mixture of 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce, 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp orange peel, 1 tbsp of jam, 1 glove of minced garlic, and the juice of 1/2 an orange. 

Cut your marinated with into 1 inch chunks.  In a skillet, brown your chicken.  Once brown, add 1/2 a red onion (sliced) and remaining ingredients (except for green beans).  Let cook on med/high heat for about 10-15 minutes.  During the last 7 minutes of cooking, add your green beans. 


"Lo Mien" Ramen
Ingredients
2 packs of Ramen (1 beef and 1 Oriental)
1 red onion
1 stalk of celery
1 carrot
1/2 leek
2 tsp dried orange peel
2 tbsp soy sauce

Directions
Boil Ramen noodles for 2 minutes.  Drain.  In a wok, add 2 tbsp vegetable oil.  Mix your Ramen seasoning packets with soy sauce and orange peel and pour into wok.  Add noodles.  Cook on high heat for 3 minutes.  Add your vegetable blend (except for carrots and all thinly sliced).  Cook on high for another 3-5 minutes.  During the last minute of cooking, shred your carrot and toss.  Serve with your orange chicken and green beans.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your support and for checking out my blog!