Thursday, December 12, 2013

Baby Butter and Jam Cookies

I have a confession to make......I am horrible at making cookies!  I can knock out choux pastry for eclairs all day long, I can bake an wonderland of cupcakes, but cookies.......it's anyone's guess as to how they'll turn out!  I baked cookies with my mom all throughout my childhood.  Her chocolate chip cookies always turned out perfect.  I don't bake cookies all that often, but, in an attempt to save my children's entire childhood, I have decided to bake all winter long.  I checked out a cookie book from my local library called Christmas Cookies: 50 Recipes to Treasure for the Holiday Season by Lisa Zwirn.  Let's be honest, I was a little intimidated by this book.  But I quickly found a recipe that even I could possibly manage to make (and so I did!).  


Baby Butter and Jam Sandwiches - recipe by Lisa Zwirn


10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar, plus more for dusting
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Raspberry preserves (For the filling.  The book also suggests strawberry or apricot, I used strawberry since I had it on hand)

Cookie cutter needed: 1 1/2 inch round

Using an electric mixer beat the butter in a large bowl until creamy. Beat in the ½ cup of confectioners’ sugar until fully blended. With the beaters on low speed, mix in the flour and salt until thoroughly combined. Using your hands, gather the dough into a ball, then press it into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 1 hour or until the dough is firm enough to roll out. (If refrigerated longer, let the dough sit at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes to soften before rolling.)

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.  Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of between 1/8 and ¼ inch. Using the cutter, stamp out circles close together and arrange them about 1½ inch apart on the prepared sheets. Re-roll the scraps two or three times. (Working the dough too much can make it tough.)

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the sheets from top to bottom and front to back about halfway through baking, or until the cookies are just beginning to color and the edges are pale golden. Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool completely.

To assemble, spread a little of the preserves on the bottom side of half of the rounds, taking care not to spread it too close to the edge. Top with another round, right side up. Just before serving, sift confectioners’ sugar over the sandwich cookies.
Store the plain rounds in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Once the cookies are spread with jam, they’ll start to soften after 1 to 2 days.

Makes about 36 sandwich cookies



To find out more about Lisa Zwirn and her Christmas Cookie book, click here.

This recipe is property of Lisa Zwirn.  In no way do I take credit for this recipe.  I am just a home baker sharing a great, easy recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your support and for checking out my blog!