Wednesday, July 11, 2012

BBQ Sauce Done My Way

I love BBQ, but of course, who doesn't?  I also love to make my own BBQ sauce.  But, there are times when I don't have the time, or I just don't feel like it.  I always like to keep a mini stockpile of condiments on hand (because you never know...), so I tend to always have bottled BBQ sauce on hand.  Like most prepackaged foods, I like to spice up my sauce.  You know, add something special to change up the flavor and make it different.  Yesterday I posted a recipe for blueberry BBQ sauce (sorry, wiping my drool off the keyboard!), so why not add blueberries to my bottled sauce?                   




Bust out your blenders!  For this, all you need to do is blend one bottle of BBQ sauce with a handful of blueberries (make sure you strain your sauce to eliminate any skins).  Yep, that is seriously all I did., well that and make sure you cook it on low heat for 15 minutes (don't want cold sauce on hot BBQ).  And boy did it taste yummy!  And the great thing, you can do this with anything!  You can add beer, wine, honey, roasted garlic, raspberries, peaches, whatever your heart desires.  You can turn that bottle of boring sauce into something that your friends and family will beg for...and you never have to tell them your secret!

If you would like to skip the bottled sauce and make your own, here is my recipe for my Blueberry BBQ Sauce:

Ingredients

2 14 oz cans of tomato sauce
1 Tbsp of molasses or honey
3/4 cup of cider vinegar
1/8 cup of beer, white wine, or bourbon
2 Tbsp of brown sugar
1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1 cup pureed blueberries
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a saucepan.  Simmer over medium-low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Once the sauce has reduced and thicken, run through a strainer to remove any blueberry skins that didn't break down all the way.  Your sauce is ready to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your support and for checking out my blog!