Saturday, July 7, 2012

Homemade Pop Tarts

I am a fan and avid reader of Better Homes & Gardens magazine.  So as I was flipping through the May 2012 issue looking for ideas for decorating my home and recipes, I came across a recipe for homemade pop tarts.  The recipe called for three ingredients: refrigerated pie crust, jelly, and frosting.  Lucky for me, I had all three in my kitchen already (bought extra pie crust when I made apple pie)!  
          
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees (Fahrenheit).  Roll out your pie crust.  Cut the dough into small uniform squares, about 3 inches across.  Since the pie dough is round, I rolled it out a few times so I could get the most out of my dough.


Take half of your squares and spread jelly across the center (I used strawberry).  To get the dough to stick, I brushed a little water around the edges of the squares before placing the tops on them.

Use a fork to crimp the edges and the pierce the top (so nothing explodes in the oven!).

 Place on your baking sheet and bake for 9 minutes.  Let cool.

Once cool, ice the tops of your pop tarts with frosting and feel free to decorate with sprinkles.

My kids loved making these almost as much as they loved eating them!  You can use any frosting and filling you desire.  Maybe next time we'll try blueberry jam with a lemon frosting......yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your support and for checking out my blog!